- Sunflowers from the garden should be cut early in the morning on a rain-free day. Choose flowers that are only slightly, but not fully open.
- Use a clean, sharp knife (not scissors). The cut surface should be long and smooth for good water absorption.
- After cutting, remove the leaves up to the top 1-2 rows right on the spot to reduce evaporation by the large leaves.
How to keep sunflowers in the vase
Would you like a wonderful bouquet of sunflowers? We'll tell you what you need to do to make the wonderful summer feeling last as long as possible.
With a sunflower bouquet the term «summertime» gets a completely different meaning. Here are some tips to make sure that the sunflowers in the vase last as long as possible:
- Fill hot water into a bucket and hold the ends of the stems for a few minutes at a depth of about 10 cm. Air that has penetrated the stems will escape and the water absorption will be improved.
- Choose a clean vase that is sufficiently high and stable and place the sunflowers in cool to lukewarm water. The stems should be placed in water up to about halfway.
- Put floral preservative to the water and do not use sugar or similar instead. The latter accelerates decay.
- Find a location that is as cool and draught-free as possible.
- When choosing a location, avoid exposure to direct sunlight, proximity to air conditioning or fruit, or behind windows. If the sunflower bouquet is outside, place it in the lee of the wind (otherwise it will dry out).
Fancy some more sunflower themes?
The sunflower is full of positive symbolism The sunflower has always had fans, not only among indigenous peoples, but also among monarchs and hippies. This is the symbolism of the sunflower. Not all sunflowers are yellow and tall What do you think the sunflower looks like? Yellow? Big? That is correct. But sunflowers can look completely different. How to keep sunflowers in the vase Would you like a wonderful bouquet of sunflowers? We'll tell you what you need to do to make the wonderful summer feeling last as long as possible. Sunflowers - divine and beautiful Here you will learn where the sunflower was worshipped as a symbol of a sun god, how it came to Europe and what we used it for. Sunflowers with detoxifying properties Did you know that sunflowers and sunflower oil have detoxifying properties and are used for both oral hygiene and agriculture? Sunflowers: faithful followers of the sun How did the name «sunflower» come about? What do other people call it? And when can a sunflower show us the direction? Useful information about sunflowers in a pot For sun worshippers and summer fans, potted sunflowers are a must. We will tell you what to look out for.